The Spring 2014 retreat of the faculty of the University of Maine at Augusta featured a brainstorming session to generate ideas regarding the agenda for the newly created AWSIM research advocacy committee. The following is a complete transcription of ideas written on the whiteboard in the classroom as brainstorming progressed. The ideas below do not represent any commitment or endorsement by AWSIM or participating faculty; they are simply a launching point from which our future activities may be inspired.
- Facilitate connections to UMS to obtain access to research resources (equipment, software)
- Hire statisticians or pay for statisticians not at UMA.
- Hire a grant writer
- Ensure that CFO or other administrative staff have grant expertise
- Fund student research scholarships
- Implement more course release time for faculty research, such as a 3/3 load
- Create a pre-IRB review process for all proposed research
- Recognize research on pedagogy as research
- Create a Research in Progress (RiP) working group
- Streamline the process for spending grant money
- Put RaPs on Polycomm
- Publicly recognize faculty for research accomplishments
- Create a list for media of the subject expertise of faculty members
- Compile a list of publications by faculty
- Initiate a UMA Research Symposium
- Send students to a UMA Undergraduate Research day at the Hall of Flags
WHAT’S MOST FEASIBLE IN TERMS OF TIME AND MONEY?
- Publication list
- Create Publicity and a Promotions Group
- Create Research Group